UPDATE : Nintendo alleges that some Switch consoles were stolen which includes the one from this leak. This post has been updated with that information.
On January 12th 2017, Nintendo announced their new video game console Nintendo Switch which is set to release worldwide on March 3rd 2017 and is priced at $299.99. Because of its unique amalgamation of home console and portable handheld console the demand for it is off the charts. The pre-order page of Nintendo Switch for US is already sold-out. Most other retailers too have sold out the Nintendo Switch from their store which includes Walmart, Best-Buy, Target, ToyRUS and GameStop. The only store which lets your pre-order Nintendo Switch at its retail price is Amazon UK. If you want one, it’s better you pre-order one right now.
So you can imagine how excited and surprised one would be to received it two weeks before release.
NeoGAF user hiphoptherobot is the lucky gamer who received his Nintendo Switch two weeks before its official release. He took some photos and recorded a few videos to prove its real and not fake.
Since its two weeks early don’t expect a gameplay video as no games have been released, you can pre-order some games too. But the video cycles through the main menu of the system and the first setup process.
The video revealed some new information of the Nintendo Switch
- User is greeted with a ‘News’ section with Switch related news and guides. It already has content/guide helping users with installing and using the SD card and charging the console.
- The 32GB Nintendo Switch gives 25.9GB of free space, so the OS and software takes about 6GB. This can be expanded by a micro SD card.
- Nintendo Switch comes with two pre-installed themes; black and white. More themes might be available later as downloadable content as 3DS has a lot of themes.
- At first boot you need to set up a new user and can add seven more users to make a total of 8 separate users of the same system. Each user gets a new nickname and an avatar/icon.
- Console can be put in ‘Sleep Mode’ from the main menu and to avoid accidental wakes from sleep mode, user has to tap the home button three times in a row.
- Unlike the older Nintendo game consoles, Switch links game purchases and downloads to your Nintendo Account instead of your console. So if your console is lost, stolen or breaks down you can easily switch to a new Switch by just signing with your account. Which wasn’t the case for Wi, Wii U and 3DS.
- Nintendo Switch has a 720p tablet and when docked it gives full 1080HD resolution for TV but you can set it to 480p settings. Could be for playing old generation games like other consoles too support.
NeoGAF user hiphoptherobot who acquired this console only mentioned that it was an unnamed retailer and didn’t have any more information to provide. Nintendo told IGN that some Switch systems were stolen by employees of distributor in US and illegally resold.
A Nintendo representative provided the following statement to IGN:
Earlier this week, individuals claimed to prematurely purchase a small number of Nintendo Switch systems from an unspecified retailer. Nintendo has determined these units were stolen in an isolated incident by employees of a U.S. distributor, with one system being illegally resold. The individuals involved have been identified, terminated from their place of employment and are under investigation by local law enforcement authorities on criminal charges.
Nintendo Switch will launch worldwide on March 3, 2017, and we look forward to everyone being able to discover the wonders of the new system for themselves at that time.
After reading about this and knowing it was stolen, hiphoptherobot has sent back the console to Nintendo after he was contacted by them as he no longer felt comfortable possessing the console gained by such illegal means. He also did mention that Nintendo was quite reasonable about this and he is in no trouble with Nintendo for all this. Through a series of posts he revealed nobody really visited or barged his home but the console was shipped and as of now Nintendo has not agreed upon an replacement or any reimbursement for the returned console. He wasn’t asked by Nintendo to remove the videos either.
Disclaimer : This post has affiliate links, we’ll receive a small commission if you make a purchase using the link(s).